Real-world scenarios often call on children to respond to challenges. The Stay Safe! program teaches applicable and age-appropriate skills while increasing and reinforcing a youth’s capacity to improve his or her own safety. Whether in their community or on their own, this group will be given better tools to Stay Safe! in a variety of different situations.
- Importance of responsibility and respect while being accountable for yourself
- Importance of setting and following rules around safety when staying on your own
- How to stay safe at home and within the community
- How to prepare, recognize and respond to unexpected situations, (i.e. inclement weather, strangers, unanticipated visits)
- First Aid Content:
- Check, Call, Care (includes phoning EMS/911), recovery position, conscious choking (adult/child/alone), feeling unwell, asthma (includes use of inhaler and spacer), anaphylaxis (includes use of EpiPen), poisoning, insect stings, wound care (i.e. minor cuts and scrapes, splinters, nosebleeds, bumps and bruises, life-threatening bleeding, burns)
Virtual Stay Safe! The course is offered for three days online 1.5 hours per day. We will have breaks and an outline will be emailed after registration, along with any homework assignments to be completed before the course.
Participants must attend all sessions. There will be no make-up sessions for classes missed. Provided with the course is a workbook and pocket first aid kit. These packages will be available for pick up at our office 857 N May St (ACO) before the course begins. For out-of-town and province participants—the kits will be mailed out. Please allow one week before session registration and course dates to ensure the delivery is on time. This course will be taught through Zoom Meeting technology. Participants will need a device that supports Zoom technology with audio and video capability and high-speed internet. Parents are not required to attend the course with their youth, however, they should be reachable during the course sessions.
The course will run on April 13th, 14th, and 15th. (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday)
1:00 pm – 3:00 pm (EST)